Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Lentil Soup

This is my rendition of Alton Brown's lentil soup. 

Lentil Soup

2-3 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
4 carrots, peeled and diced
3-4 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
2-3 cups water
1 lb bag lentils, rinsed
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté onions, celery and carrots in olive oil for about 5 minutes in a large pot. Add garam masala and sauté another minute. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, water, lentils, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a light simmer, cover and cook for 30-40 minutes until tender. I put my emulsion blender in for a second to make it slightly creamy, but not baby food. I like a good bit of texture so I only blend for about 5 seconds. If you don't have an emulsion blender and want it creamy you can take a cup of soup out and blend in a blender or food processor and return it to the pot of soup. Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment